Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Kitchen Island Painted!

Eeeek! I'm so excited the painters are coming today to finally finish up our kitchen. I have no idea how many days it will take, but I'm so exited to have everything done and to not have a single light dangling from the ceiling like some sort of crack den.

Wood color before - this is the retail photo of the island we purchased a few years ago at Nebraska Furniture Mart. Have you been to that place? It's my heaven.
In preparation, I painted the base of my kitchen island to coordinate with the new look. The color is Gabardine by Martha Stewart color matched to Behr paint and primer in one. The finish is eggshell. To do this, I sanded the piece and then wiped it down with a damp cloth. Then, I taped off all of the hardware and the top, primed, then painted with two coats using a small foam roller. But...I am dumb and forgot to purchase new hardware, so the old wooden knobs make this look a little country.  I am thinking I want brushed nickel cup pulls for the drawers. Thoughts? Bar pulls for the doors? Or something more fun?  I don't know...



The color is actually just a couple shades darker than the color we picked for the walls - Martha Stewat's Schoolhouse Slate. I can't wait to see the finished look!

No comments: