Thursday, July 14, 2011

What Harry Means to Me

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" ~ Albus Dumbledore


Oh, it's the end of an era. Tomorrow (or at midnight tonight if you've got tickets) the final Harry Potter movie is released upon the world. I don't think I can even put into words what the characters in the books have meant to me over the past many years. That a series of books has inspired a generation to get excited about reading is amazing in and of itself. And these kids aren't just reading a little chapter book...they're reading 900 page epic behemoth hardbacks and not putting them down once they start.

I was 13 years old when the first book, The Sorcerer's Stone, was released and I'd never even heard of Harry Potter. When I was 16 I got a part time job working as a cashier for a Barnes and Noble subsidiary and was constantly inundated with requests for the first couple of books that came out. I admit I didn't understand the hype. To think I was even annoyed at the time by the mania surrounding the story! I refused to even read them because I thought the story of a boy wizard could only be silly.

It wasn't until I was in high school that I saw the first two movies, and I thought, "Meh, they're ok." Then one bored day I started reading my brother's copy of The Prizoner of Azkaban. BAM...that was all it took and I was hooked. I remember the excitement of waiting patiently for the next book to come out, and then the next one, and then finally the 7th book was released shortly after my wedding and I had it delivered to our first apartment the day it came out.

I started dragging Scott to see the movies, and it wasn't until the third one that he really even started liking them. But slowly, I started breaking him down. And now? A self confessed non-reader like him has read every book but the last one (he wants to be surprised at the movie but promises to read the book after seeing it). In fact, he read all of the first 6 books in less than two months.

I can't wait until we have a little one we can read the books aloud to and create all new wonderful Potter memories. Until then, we'll have to content ourselves with rereading the books, having movie marathons, and maybe making it down to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando. So have a butterbeer for me, and everyone get their geek on!


Rosmerta's Recipes - Butterbeer by Melissa

Butterbeer! It warms you up AND tastes great. Now in take-away form from The Three Broomsticks. (Many thanks to Melissa for this recipe!)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup (8 oz) club soda or cream soda
  • ½ cup (4 oz) butterscotch syrup (ice cream topping)
  • ½ tablespoon butter

Directions:

Step 1: Measure butterscotch and butter into a 2 cup (16 oz) glass. Microwave on high for 1 to 1½ minutes, or until syrup is bubbly and butter is completely incorporated.

Step 2: Stir and cool for 30 seconds, then slowly mix in club soda. Mixture will fizz quite a bit.

Step 3: Serve in two coffee mugs or small glasses; a perfectly warm Hogwarts treat for two!

1 comment:

Mrs. Ruby said...

How FUN is this?!?! I STILL have not read the HP series - I know, I know I have to get on it in the next two weeks before I start teaching fourth grade!!! ;)