Tuesday, April 19, 2011

On The Menu: Creamy Seafood Pasta


So, I know I said posting would be light, but I still decided to try a new dish to keep my mind off our house troubles. Everything's ok in the kitchen, as long as I don't look up...also I can't find anything. Our skillets were in the guest bedroom. But moving on...

This seafood pasta is actually lighter than it sounds and doesn't actually involve heavy cream - only 2% milk. I'm not really a fan of heavy alfredo and cream sauces, but this one doesn't sit in your stomach like some other ones do.  Plus, it passed the husband test, so that's a bonus.


Ingredients for about 4 servings:
• 8 oz. Linguine
• 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail-off (you know the drill)
• 1.5 Cups sliced mushrooms
• 4 chopped green onions (I substituted a little red onion since I didn't have green)
• 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• Old Bay seasoning to taste

For the creamy sauce
• 1 can semi-condensed oyster stew
• 3/4 Cup 2% milk
• 1 clove minced garlic
• 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
• 1/2 Cup grated/shredded parmesan cheese

Garnish
• 1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley
• Salt and Pepper to taste




DIRECTIONS:
1. In a blender, mix together the sauce ingredients until smooth (stew, milk, garlic, red pepper, & cheese). Set aside.
2. Cook linguine according to package directions.
3. While linguine is cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet and add shrimp, mushrooms, and onions, and Old Bay Seasoning. Cook about five minutes or until shrimp is pink.
4. Add sauce mixture to the skillet with the shrimp & mushrooms and allow to heat through.
5. When the shrimp and sauce is heated through, stir in the parsley.
6. Drain linguine and combine with the shrimp, mushrooms and sauce. Toss lightly to coat.
7. Serve individual servings topped with extra parsely, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.

On a side note, do you think it's a little sick that I wish the tree had done more damage to the actual kitchen? Yes, figuring out how and what to eat would have been a pain, but I could sacrifice that for some new stainless steel appliances.

No comments: