Friday, March 25, 2011

On The Menu: Chicken Mediterranean Sandwiches


I haven't done an On the Menu post in a while, so I figured I'd better step up my game.  This is my favorite dish that my husband makes. He actually cooks just as much as I do, and I'm so grateful! I think I'd go crazy if I had to cook every night.



Ingredients for tzatziki sauce:
• 1/2 - 1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
• 1/2 Cucumber, peeled and minced
• Mint - 1 Tablespoon if using Fresh, 1 Teaspoon if dried
• Garlic Salt and Pepper to taste

*Mix all the ingredients for the sauce and let chill in the fridge for at least a half hour. This lets the flavors infuse into the sauce.



Other Ingredients:
• 2 Chicken Breasts
• Salt & Pepper
• Olive Oil
• Oregano
• Ciabatta Rolls
• Your Favorite Brand of Hummus

Sandwich Garnishes:
• Chopped Fresh Tomato
• Chopped Fresh Red Onion
• Crumbled Feta




1. Chop or cut the chicken breasts into strips for cooking. Season with Salt and Pepper and Oregano to taste.
2. Heat a non-stick pan with a couple tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. When pan is hot, put in chopped raw chicken and cook thoughroughly.
3. While chicken is cooking, spread ciabatta rolls or bread halves with hummus and place in oven to toast about 5 min. (about 350 degrees), or longer depending on how crispy you want your bread.
4. When chicken is done, take out chilled tzatziki sauce and assemble sandwiches.


I like to spread the tzatziki sauce on both sides of the toasted bread (on top of the hummus) and layer with chicken, tomatos, onion, and feta.  Scott puts the sauce on just one side and leaves the hummus plain on the other. Enjoy! *Warning: These sandwiches are super messy, but delicious!*

No comments: