Tuesday, November 16, 2010

On The Menu: Italian Meatloaf

I've been waiting to blog this recipe for Italian Meatloaf forever.  It's something I make once at least every other week.  It's one of my husband's favorite meals, and it's easy and filling.  This recipe is something I've been eating since as far back as I can remember.  My parents made it and my grandparents made it, and I'm sure OUR future kids will eat it.  So here it goes!

Italian Meatloaf Ingredients for Two:

1 lb ground hamburger
1/2 C Italian breadcrumbs
1 egg
1-2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning
1 small Can Tomato Sauce
day old bread
About 1 C Mozarella cheese

Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees F
Line a baking dish with old bread. This way, you won't have to pour out the grease during the middle of cooking.  The bread will soak it up and you can just toss the bread when done.
Mix together ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, seasoning, and Two TABLESPOONS of the tomato sauce.  Work with your hands to get all ingredients evenly distributed and form into a ball.
Flatten the ball into an oval shape onto a piece of aluminum foil.  Trust me, you don't want to pry meatloaf off your countertops.  Sprinkle the cheese in the middle like above.  You want just enough cheese so that you can form a loaf without having it come out everywhere.
Roll into a loaf and place seam-side down on top of the bread in the pan.  Make sure there are no holes for the cheese to escape.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.  After 45 minutes, remove loaf and pour over tomato sauce.  Cook for 15 minutes.  Total cook time should be 1 HOUR.
After one hour cook time with tomato sauce the last 15 minutes.  You can see the bread is basically really dark toast.  You can remove the bread at this point.
Melty cheese - the middle piece is the best!
I don't get any points for plating, but this goes well with garlic bread or some mashed potatoes.  Enjoy!

No comments: